Tuesday, August 14, 2012

La Paz (again)

We are anchored in La Paz harbor. It took four days to get back down here but we have seen some cool wildlife along the way.

Beautiful layers of sediment.


On the way down we visited some old favorites and avoided the insect areas. Just anchoring in a different area of a cove gives you another beautiful perspective of it.
Los Gatos cove

Los Gatos cove looking south


Last night we were in Ensenada Grande, which was our second lagoon out of La Paz last time. I think it is my favorite.
Entrance to Ensenada Grande on Espiritu Santo Island

Anchor site.

Bird perch.

Cactus on cliff of Ensenada Grande.


Highlights of the trip for me were seeing about eight juvenile flying fish fly out of the water, then, unexpectedly, I saw the Dorado hunter behind them. He was just under the surface with his gorgeous turquoise back, big forehead and bright yellow belly. Wow, to see them on the hunt is spectacular. If he had not slowed down to almost a stop I would not have seen such detail.

Rocky's highlight was seeing dolphins. Motoring for three days, Rocky was getting bored with sleeping in the hulls. If the seas are level I let him come up and sit in the wind along the side of the boat. He was next to the gate area when dolphins came to the surface right under him. He let them have it and chased them to the bow. I picked him up and we watched them swim in the bow wave. He is forever sitting at the gate watching for his new friends the dolphins.

Larry's trip highlight, I am sure, was the 10 minutes I napped each day. :-) Peace and quiet at last.

Overall I think The Rock is pretty happy.



 I am wondering what questions you all might have. Rocky has adjusted to boat and Pet Loo. Larry loves the sailing, the views but is working really hard on all aspects of the boat---cleaning the bottom, watching the electricity production of solar and consumption. Our freezer is so big, we think that is the biggest consumer of power so we try to manage that appropriately. The water maker works like a charm and we have all the water we need with ability to always make more. Diesel is available in three areas---La Paz, Puerto Escondido and Santa Rosalia. Those are our tether points for petrol.

The temps here in August have been from 88 to 95 in the cabin. The water is about 87 at this point. It is a good time for us to head north until October. Humidity is up however when you are close to land and there has not been rain, those areas can be quite dry. Storms can brew up regularly off the mainland Mexico but mostly have not come our way. They dissipate as they cross the sea so far. A couple errands here in La Paz and we are off again.

The radio nets are very helpful with all the cruisers listening in, getting weather reports and answering other cruiser's questions. It is the telephone of the sea. 

We eat the provisions that I packed out of freezer or cans. This is augmented by fish we catch and fresh fruits and veggies found along the way. I have not made my Dominican rice and beans yet. Creates too much heat. In some areas, the steam attracts bees.

Send me any questions you might have by either email address. If I don't get the questions here in La Paz, I can check in in Juncatlito near Loreto and answer them.
Anchorage off sleepy village of Juncalito, south of Loreto.

Love y'all, Beth

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful scenery and photos. You must be having the time of your life.

    ReplyDelete