Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Maintenance in La Paz and future plans?????

Well we find ourselves here in La Paz again. Due to the 145 boats that converge on Mexico and beyond just after hurricane season in the Baja Haha, we made long term reservations for November to be here. Good thing we did as the boats are piled up out there at anchor and the long hot summer racked up some maintenance items for us that are easier to do at the dock.

 Larry has striped and sanded and now is finishing the toe rails.

Bimini being made as the original was beginning to rip. We actually thought we might lose it in the hurricane.






I am polishing the stainless on the boat and there is a lot! Larry has equalized the batteries and they are performing well.....let's see--I know we have done additional thing but they escape me! Larry told me, that there are always chores on the boat. The marine environment is tough on it!

Shiny new toe rails with new line for a bit more security. The old nets were thrashed.


We have not  been invited yet but we hear my cousin Keeley is getting married in Hawaii in August. We are toying with the idea of sailing there. I have to pass the two overnight passage to Puerto Vallarta first. We would get crew to help us. Leave Mexico in May and spend the summer in Hawaii. The cruising there however is not as simple as it is here. Lots of coral in small anchorages, big currents, waves and wind.

The first option has always been to sail home to Florida and be able to sail up the intercoastal waterway. Superstorm Sandy, however, has given me pause. Not sure I want my boat on the east coast next summer. The hurricanes seem so much worse.....wind and surge. Here it is mostly wind.

Safest option is to come back to San Diego.....hmmm, do I like safety?

So stay tuned......I may have been lulled into comfort by the semi-calm Sea of Cortez.



Cool night heron still hunting at 7am.
Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment