Monday, December 24, 2012

Passage to Puerto Vallarta and a Merry Christmas welcome

Our passage from La Paz to Puerto Vallarta over December 22 to Dec 24th was uneventful as to emergencies but full of life alternatively. Larry and I did not have set shifts to be on watch but tried all different time frames from 2 hours to 6 hours each. Funny how everything happened during my watch! I first saw humpback whales then a flying marlin. Later that night a flying fish came out of the water and hit Larry's leg as he spoke to me. When he went to bed, another came flying into the cockpit and I had to pick up the cute little slimy thing and throw him back into the sea, all the while, the boat rocking back and forth in 14 knots of wind and we were rolling at 7 to 9 knots downhill to PV.  Crazy you say? Yes, the word "insane" crossed my mind many times but to you savvy sailors, all in a days work!

I am on the 5:30 to 11:30pm shift and I see dolphins, flopping flying rays and the persistent blue footed booby that wants to land on our solar panels and get a free ride..... I push him off five times with our extendable boat hook while double checking my tether....my harness is connected to the boat so I do not fall off at night. Once, while extracting the boat hook from the bimini, a large flying bug or bat flies at me and I scream, of course, and then take the boat hook to my own back where he landed. Do all this without shreeking and waking your husband! My self control is improving!

Larry, bless is soul, took the midnight to "when I wake up" shift. I was fortunate to wake up for this sunrise. And by the way, we did not realize it until Rocky barked at them on his morning stroll, we were invaded by flying squid. Thank God, not the Humboldt variety. See two of the little guys above. The one on the trampoline had a death grip on it.....the one on the cabin top had a half eaten fish in his tentacles......squid ink everywhere.....life is brutal..

After 49 hours of prepared meals, bumpy waves, nights, days, naps and watches....we arrive.
We were welcomed by breaching Humpback whales in Banderas Bay just moments ago! What a treat!


Majestic animals. Merry Christmas to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment