Sunday, February 10, 2013

Estuary Tour by kayak

There is an estuary lined with mangroves that goes a couple miles inland but comes out at the other anchorage on the north side of Bahia Tenacatita. Here are some photos.

Arms were getting quite tired by the end so glad I did not take my additional 22 pounds that I usually paddle around. No, not my purse, or my arse-- my dog, Rocky.

African Queen

Tia watching carefully for crocodiles!

It was very glassy and in places you could not tell what was the top of the water. The mangroves grow down into the water and then the reflection took over. Very cool. 
We saw many birds and a few types of fish. Pangas are "garaged" up here under the mangroves. They cut a space and back into them. Drive their truck right up to the mangrove. We arrived to a very skinny area and I heard a panga coming down at full speed....lots of twists and turns. They immediately slow down but you don't want to surprise them on a tight turn.

Anyway, cheated death again. We emerged to a little wave action back at the anchorage. Took a couple over the bow. But hey, can't live on the water and not get wet, right?

I am about to brave the bottom cleaning. Stuff grows faster here than in the Sea of Cortez. Slimey yuck along the top. It has only been two weeks. Larry cleans the bottom and I clean the top three feet or so. Lots of acreage down there.

We think we will go as far as Manzanillo then work our way north. Zihuatanejo is just too far for the amount of time we have. It is 200 miles both ways (at anywhere from 5 to 8 knots--basically 5.75 to 9 mph---slow!). Knowing what we know now, we would leave La Paz in November and come all the way down, and work our way back up to Puerto Vallarta for March racing.

Next, perhaps tomorrow, we go to  Barra de Navidad. We hear there is a French baker who comes by the boat in the morning with his baked goods. I am known to like my baked goods.....yum.

It is a lagoon with not much fresh exchange of water. So we won't be there long.

No comments:

Post a Comment